Wednesday 10 February 2010

A4e Gateway Course, Day 8, Ritual Humiliation Day

This is the day when it all goes stupid. A few minutes after arriving, we are informed that today is an 'external day'. We are being forced to print out a number of CVs and go off to spend the day visiting (harassing?) businesses and distributing them. I may not be the experts that they claim to be, but really, I am 100% certain this is not a good strategy! And what happened to not looking desperate?!!

It seems to work like this-if you are unfortunate enough to have a shop near an A4e office (or even not very near, we were kindly given bus fare to go and visit nearby towns), you can expect to get gangs of people turning up with their CVs every couple of weeks. (Most of the monkeys choose to wave their CVs around in groups.) I'm quite sure this must get very annoying. Irritating potential employers seems a rather novel approach to jobseeking, and not one that I was very keen to try.

As I didn't really want to alienate employers, I chose the slightly less degrading option of going to visit agencies (overlooking the fact that a few of them already have my cv anyway). In the end I eventually came trooping back to the office with email addresses for my 'evidence folder' (suggested evidence was a till receipt, though I'm not sure how that proves you've done anything other than go shopping).

Another completely wasted day. Still no TV presented popping out to tell me it's all a joke. Maybe that happens on Friday?

No comments:

Post a Comment