Tuesday 9 February 2010

A4e Gateway Course, Day 7, Interview Techniques

The dreaded interview. I feel fully prepared now I know not to smoke before it and to dress smartly. Seriously though, this was the first day that the teaching actually did take a morning and seemed like slightly less of a waste of time. Well, in that there was teaching happening anyway. As a long term jobseeker, I have scoured every website I can find to offer me advice and examples of questions, so it didn't technically it didn't actually teach me anything.

And just when I thought they were doing so well... with the afternoon came the insistence that we all give them 5 spec letters to send out. Has this ever worked for anyone? And doesn't sending spec letters somewhat go against the advice given in the interview technique lesson of not looking too desperate!!

Finding companies in the phone book that will offer me the type of graduate work I am looking for seems a much more complicated mission than if I was looking for something like their more usual retail work. Also, that sort of company would expect more than just a letter asking about jobs, it would need a paragraph about why I chose them, surely? Why am I being treated like a child by people that know less about jobseeking than me?

No comments:

Post a Comment