Monday 8 February 2010

A4e Gateway Course, Day 6, Application forms

Putting aside the extremely useful and productive time spent playing hangman.....
Today we looked at those scary and confusing words you might see on application forms. You know, just so I should be prepared should I ever see one, which of course I haven't in the years I've spent looking for a job. I admit, the being treated like a child is starting to grate just a teeny bit. Being given a 'trick' test that I remember being given various times at school really doesn't help. You know the one, 'read all steps carefully before doing any of them' and then the last one tells you to do nothing.

So what words might scare and confuse me? How about employee, or referee, or maybe dependants? I'm not entirely sure why a job application form would be asking about my dependants, but hey, what do I know? Our first task is to define a list of words. Then, after the answers are read out, we get a list of the exact same words along with their meanings and have to match them up. Read-time filler, because they know very well that their 'course' could be completed in a day rather than dragged across 2 weeks.


Then, to fill in the rest of the day, (well, morning, our afternoon is again free to use the internet to look for jobs) fill in an application form of course. This time for your own job choices, but with a form from a shop so that the questions are entirely irrelevant to me. I guess it's just another chance to make us write out our contact details again. 60% of the way through!! I'd be pleased, but I think the New Ordeal experience will only get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment